The AI Chronicles #1
May 15, 2023
In this weekly livestream series, Ted M. Young and I build an AI-powered role-playing game using React, Spring Boot, and Nullables. And, of course, plenty of discussion about design, architecture, and effective programming practices.
Watch us live every Monday! For details, see the event page. For more episode recordings, see the episode archive.
“Testing Without Mocks” TrainingJun62023
I’m offering live online training for Nullables in four 3-hour sessions from June 6th to 15th. Register here.
To be notified about future “Testing Without Mocks” training courses, join the mailing list here (requires Google login).
For private training, contact me directly.
In this episode...
Our new stream! We explain the goals of the project—to create an AI-powered role-playing game—then get to work. Our first task is to create a Nullable wrapper for the OpenAI service. The work goes smoothly, and by the end of the episode, we have an
OpenAiClient that sends
POST requests to the service.
- About the Project (0:14)
- What We’re Building (2:03)
- Outside-In vs. Bottom-Up Design (14:17)
- Structure of the Code (41:08)
- Fake It Once You Make It (44:41)
POSTto OpenAI (47:47)
- Start the
- Back to the
- Sidebar: Configuration vs. Constants (1:23:04)
- End sidebar (1:24:59)
- Support HTTP headers (1:27:44)
- Sidebar: Why Wrappers and Nullables? (1:43:32)
- End sidebar (1:50:38)
- Sidebar: Documenting APIs (2:03:50)
- Sidebar: LLMs and Documentation (2:10:39)
- End sidebar (2:13:07)
- Tracking HTTP headers (2:17:02)
- Finish the
- Sidebar: New Hotness Syndrome (2:38:33)
- Sidebar: TypeScript (2:41:07)
- End sidebar (2:43:46)
- Conclusion (2:46:44)
Visit the episode archive for more.